Design and develop and demonstrate direct grid connect Medium Voltage (up to 13.8 kV) Multiport power electronics “energy hub.”
- This project will continue to develop the advance smart power electronics hardware and software interfaces for grid applications, building on the previous approximately $8 million investment in GMLC projects 0204, 0074, 0138.
- The new three phase agent based software and grid-tied inverter hardware demonstrated will provide new smart grid devices that can be used as a transactive node.
- This project will enable higher penetration of DER power electronics converters into 13.8 kV grid level and provide new applications for high voltage WBG devices.
- This project will provide the design guidelines and specifications for medium voltage grid-tied power converters and new standards.
- The high voltage device data models developed for medium voltage can be used for other power electronics designers.
- Provide multiple transactive nodes with multiple energy sources and loads integrated to support bulk power system resiliency and grid stabilizing controls.
- Develop direct grid connect hardware with WBG devices
- Develop energy optimization algorithms and provide real-time control to enable energy efficiency improvements.
- Reduce costs through interoperable and 'plug&play' hardware interfaces and agent-based software.